Parking Lot Play!!
A great way to explore efficient technique and handling skills.
Explore cycling skills with the safety of the recreation trail and a parking lot:
- Posture, alignment, biomechanics
- Riding positions and technique for efficiency, stability, comfort and safety
- Mounting, dismounting, clipping in and out of pedals
- Riding the line: effortless precise navigation and balance
- Pedaling drills and establishing ideal cadence range
- Cornering and turning skills
- Braking skills
- Adequately maintained bike with tires at recommended pressure, brakes and gears in working order
- Clothes appropriate for weather
- Bike shoes and clip-less pedals recommend but not required
Date & Time: Sat, 25 May, 10-11:30 AM
Register at Island Health and Fitness: 607.277.3861
Fee: $20 Island members, $22 non
Parking Lot Play
Great for adults and kids (accompanied by parent/guardian) who can ride and want to improve handling skills
Winter Cycling… At It’s “Best”
Saturday Indoor Cycling Labs!
10:15-11:45 AM @ Island Health and Fitness
Join Coach Shane Eversfield midday Saturdays in the Cycling Lab to improve:
Attend Intro Session Free!* (05 January)
Series Begins 19 January
- Location: Island Health and Fitness Group Fitness Studio
- Time: 10:15-11:45 AM on Saturdays
- Program Length: Eight Saturdays
- Fee Structure for 8 sessions: $99 IHF members, $120 non-members
- Drop-in per class: $15 IHF members, $18 non-members
- Register: Call or drop by Front Desk at Island 607.277.3861
Space is limited for 8-Week and for Free Intro.
* Preference for free intro session given to those who are registered for 8-Week and wish to attend intro.
Functional strength and efficiency on the bike begin with:
- Pelvic core stability and maximum core engagement
- Lateral stability in your hips, knees, ankles, feet
- Maximum neuromuscular recruitment for every pedal stroke
Develop and train these essential elements to increase:
- Sustainable and peak pedaling force
- Cycling efficiency & economy
- Endurance and speed
- Bike handling skills
Each session is structured:
- Warm-up with a sequence of pedaling drills (30-40 minutes)
- Alternating on-bike strength intervals with off-bike strength exercises (40-50 minutes)
- Cool down (10 minutes)
Participants will also receive a summary email after each session.
B.Y.B.&T or IHF Spin Bike:
- Bring your bike and trainer for maximum benefit and adaptation.
- Or use a IHF spin bike for convenience.
Improve with Progression: Over the course of the 8 sessions, you will increase the demand of the drills, exercises and intervals as you adapt – in a self-paced but guided manner.
Shane Eversfield will lead and guide the session (not do it with you) so he can offer individual feedback and instruction, and keep the group focused and engaged. Maximize return on your aerobic investment.
Over the past decade, Shane Eversfield has developed and refined this format through Zendurance Cycling. As an athlete he has tested and applied these methods, successfully finishing ultra triathlon events with bike distances up to 400 miles. (See: Moving Beyond A.L.S.)
In 2013, he also completed Wilderness 101 – a 101-mile mountain bike race on a hardtail… without injury. (Whew!! A remarkable achievement given his limited MTB technical skills.)
In 2015, he completed the Oregon Double Iron – 18-19 July. This event included a 224-mile bike leg with 14,000 feet of climbing. He was the oldest finisher. Two weeks later he placed 3rd in AG at Cayuga Lake Triathlon. (Photo)